Teeth grinding, or bruxism is a common dental concern frequently associated with complex conditions impacting the temporomandibular joint (TMJ). Chronic grinding of the teeth or clenching of the jaw can affect a patient’s oral health and quality of life. Bruxism can cause painful symptoms such as headaches, jaw pain, and facial swelling and can cause damage to both the teeth and gums.
Dr. Ahrabi is an LVI Global Alumni. Through LVI Global Dr. Ahrabi has undergone hours of continuing dental education focused on the intersection of complex facial muscles and jaw function. Highly trained, and experienced, Dr. Ahrabi offers personalized and comprehensive treatment for patients with TMD and other related oral health concerns associated with bruxism.
The temporomandibular joint, or TMJ, connects the lower jaw to the skull. This joint performs chewing, speaking, and yawning. Grinding or clenching of the jaw and teeth can put stress on the jaw joint and muscles, often resulting in painful, sometimes debilitating symptoms. Teeth grinding can often go undiagnosed until patients are experiencing chronic pain symptoms such as headaches and tension or popping in the jaw. Many patients grind their teeth while sleeping and are not directly aware they are doing it. Others may clench or grind their teeth during times of high stress.
Symptoms Of Teeth Grinding
While it may be difficult to know that you are grinding your teeth while sleeping, you may notice other developing symptoms that could indicate bruxism is occurring. If you notice any changes in your oral health, be sure to alert Dr. Ahrabi. Early diagnosis of any oral health concern is ideal and allows for more effective treatment.
Signs Of Bruxism
- Worn teeth
- Flat, chipped, or cracked teeth
- Dull teeth/worn tooth enamel
- Sensitivity in teeth
- Jaw pain
- Chronic earaches
- Chronic headaches or facial pain
Treatment Options For Teeth Grinding
Dr. Ahrabi offers personalized dental consultations and uniquely tailored treatment plans that will improve oral health and meet the goals of the individual patient. For some patients, a combination of treatments will provide optimal results. We always strive to provide the most conservative treatment plan that yields optimal results in improving oral health and the patient’s quality of life.
- Oral Sleep Appliance: An oral sleep appliance can be custom designed and fit to help realign the jaw during sleep. The custom sleep device will prevent the jaw from grinding during the night and will protect the teeth and gums from future damage.
- Invisalign®: Dr. Ahrabi is an Oakton, VA Invisalign provider. Invisalign is used to straighten teeth and correct malocclusion that could affect the function of the bite or cause damage to the jaw.
- Change In Lifestyle Habits: Exercise, yoga, and other therapeutic activities can help patients release stress and tension to prevent jaw clenching or grinding. Dr. Ahrabi may make other recommendations for lifestyle changes that may help alleviate bruxism and jaw tension.
Areas We Serve
If you grind your teeth or have noticed any signs or symptoms of bruxism developing contact our Oakton, VA dentist’s office or request an appointment online. Dr. Ahrabi can help you to stop grinding your teeth, eliminating painful symptoms. We welcome new and returning patients of all ages. We proudly serve patients in Oakton, VA. Led by Dr. Ahrabi, our team has built a dental care practice that is patient-focused, welcoming, and family oriented. We provide modern, comprehensive, and personalized family and cosmetic dental care. Through patient education, we encourage honest communication and build positive, lifelong patient-dentist relationships.